{ 30 Intelligent Comments }

HOWTO: Setup Gmail & Multiple Google Calendars on iPhone or iPad

Google Sync iPhone iPad iPod CalendarCan you see only one Google Calendar on your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad?

Like me, if you have multiple Gmail Calendars and you add your Gmail account to your ‘Mail, Contacts, Calendars’ screen on any iOS device (iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad) you’ll quickly notice that your device will only show a single calendar with no option to see the others.

As frustrating (and strange) as this may seem, it’s relatively simple to resolve.

I’ll include the steps to add Gmail email first and then the steps to get multiple calendars working.

This applies to iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch running software version 3.0 and later.

Adding your Gmail Account to your iOS device

First step is to get the mail side of it working properly so let’s add your Gmail account for mail only.

1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account > Gmail
  2. Enter your Name, Address, Password and a Description > tap Next
  3. If everything is good, you’ll see Verifying followed by 4 checkmarks following by a screen with a Mail, a Calendar and a Notes toggle switch.
  4. Set the Mail toggle switch to ON
  5. Set the Calendar toggle switch to OFF – yes, you read correctly, OFF.  I’ll explain later!
  6. Set the Notes toggle switch to OFF
  7. Tap Save

Adding Google Calendar

Now we need to add Google Calendar but not through Gmail, through Exchange instead.

1. Tap SettingsMail, Contacts, CalendarsAdd Account > Microsoft Exchange
  2. Enter your Gmail address in the Email field
  3. Leave the Domain field empty
  4. Enter your Gmail address in the Username field
  5. Enter your Gmail password in the Password field and tap Next
  6. You’ll see Verifying and then a Server field should appear.  Enter m.google.com in the Server field and tap Next
  7. Now you’ll see a screen with a Mail, a Calendar and a Notes toggle switch.
  8. Set the Mail toggle switch to OFF
  9. Set the Calendar toggle switch to ON
  10. Set the Notes toggle switch to OFF
  11. Toggle Mail OFF, Calendar ON

12. Tap Save

Setting Up Google Sync

Next step is to tell Google what Calendars we own that we’d like to sync with our iOS device (or many other devices for that matter)

1. Open Safari and go to http://m.google.com/sync/
  2. Sign in with the same Gmail account details that you used above
  3. The Manage Devices screen will appear – tap your device
  4. The Settings screen will appear with a list of all of your Google Calendars – place a check mark next to the calendars that you’d like to sync with your iPhone.
  5. Select Your Calendars From Google Sync

6. Tap Save

Now open your calendars app and view all of your Google Calendars with amazement and awe!

iPhone Showing Multiple Google Calendars

How did you get on with this?  Have you any tips you can share with other users?  Join the discussion below.

Wow, 30 Comments! We've got a conversation going now. Join the discussion below!

1. Nano Premium says:

Really good idea of posting this information.I really appreciate.

2. Will Chicago says:

Really good post. Worked like a charm on my ipad 2.

3. Astley says:

Thanks so much. i tried the CalDav approach which seemed to work except for I was no longer able to invite attendees. I followed the instructions you mentioned above, and it worked beautiful on my iPad2.

4. Heather says:

Thanks sooo much! This is very user friendly – even for a novice such as myself!

5. Yves says:

Great description.
    However, when I try to configure the different calendars to synchronize via m.google.com/sync I get the message that my device (iPhone) is not supported.
    Is there another way to configure google sync.

6. Yves says:

Ignore my comments from above. Found the solution myself on google fora.
    Just make sure that you select the language “English”. Other languages will give the message that the device is not supported.

7. Iarocha says:

Don’t really get this post. I have setup my Google account the regular way: without the use of Exchange and I see all my three calendars (main calendar, my business calendar and even my wife’s shared calendar)

8. I’m still learning from you, but I’m making my way to the top as well. I certainly liked reading everything that is posted on your site.Keep the stories coming. I enjoyed it!

9. Lisa Morrison says:

I absolutely can’t get this to work with my ipad 2. Not only with it not sync correctly with my ipad, just trying to get the calendars onto the ipad creates all sorts of events. It’s really frustrating!

10. Deborah Harper says:

Worked PERFECTLY for my iPhone4! Thanks so much!

11. Steven r says:

I have spent the past hour farting about on other sites, but your info has done what I wanted to do in 10mins… Thanks

12. linda says:

great instructions! worked smoothly on my ipod touch 3g. i bookmarked your site for future reference. you’re an excellent teacher! thanks!

13. This was very helpful. Thank you.

14. Kim Neil says:

Thank You, worked like a charm first time, have a great day!!!

15. ty says:

This was fantastically helpful.

16. Martin Servé Brunghart says:

Thanks for the great instructions. Have been seaching for this for some time now. The only thing was that after several attempts I found out that I have to change the language from Danish till English and then it worked like a charme….. Thanks…

1. Anonymous says:

Finnish language has the same problem – changing to english makes it work. Very nice, at last all calendars there.

17. norazam says:

thanks for the step-by-step guidance. works great!!

18. Stephanie says:

IT WORKED!!!!! Thank you so much!

19. Rachel says:

It worked! After weeks of figuring out how to do it. Perfect step by step instructions

20. Sjonnie says:

Didn’t work for me as I do see the other calenders at the m.google.com website but they won’t appear on the iphone 4s my old iphone 3gs did work and both have OS5 so I don’t understand why it didn’t appear on the iphone 4s. any tips I can try?

Kind regards,

21. Sjonnie says:

Hi Sorry it did work seems it was not working as the cooking was turn off so I couldn’t see the manage devices screen so now I turned it on so now I see all the calenders again on my iphone 4s thanks a lot …

22. Anna says:

Hey- I went through these steps and it worked fine (and has been working fine for months) on my ipad. Just got an iphone though, and am unable to sync multiple calendars. When I go to http://m.google.com/sync/, I see that the calendars are already selected. I hit save, and when I go to my iphone calendar, only my main calendar shows up (not multiple calendars). Is it not possible to sync multiple calendars on both iphone and ipad??

1. Rosco says:

Hi Anna, Yes, it is possible to sync multiple calendars to multiple devices. When you go to Google Sync, ensure that you are managing the correct device. On the Manage Devices screen you should see an entry for your iPhone and one for your iPad too. I just did the very same thing on my new iPhone so now I have this kind of setup on an iPhone, an iPod Touch and an iPad so I know it works for sure 😉

Also, make sure you add the Google Calender account as an Exchange account and NOT as Gmail.

Let me know what happens.

1. Ivan says:

I have the same problem…:
        I AM syncing multiple Google calendars to my iPhone (4).
        I CAN’T sync multiple Google calendars to my iPad (4).

When visiting http://m.google.com/sync (from the iPad) I get no login screen and therefore no “Manage Devices” screen?
        When visiting https://www.google.com/calendar/syncselect (from the iPad) I get the sync settings for my iPhone only. Strangely it’s a Danish site. I am from Denmark, but I have changed the language of Gmail and Goggle calendar to English (US) and even the iPad’s language to English.

Please help!

23. Kristey says:

Worked like a charm!

24. Mary says:

Awesome… thank you!

25. Terry says:

Wonderful. It worked perfect with the iPhone 5.

26. Evan says:

Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is important and all. But think about
    if you added some great visuals or videos to give your posts
    more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and videos, this website could definitely be one of the
    most beneficial in its field. Excellent blog!