- You use the Grab utlility or built in screen capture shortcuts in Mac OS X to capture a selection, Window or full screen and then try to use the “New from Clipboard” option in Preview but “New from Clipboard” is greyed out
- You hear the bonk sound when trying to paste a screenshot into many Mac OS X applications after upgrading to Snow Leopard such as Preview, Text Edit or Mail
- If you create a new profile on in Mac OS X, the New from Clipboard feature works as designed and without issue
The Preferences file for screenshots for the current Mac OS X user profile has become corrupt during the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard upgrade.
Luckily the solution for this is fairly simple, cause it bugged me for weeks before I put in some effort into finding a solution…and here it is.
- Open Finder
- Browse to:
- Your Home folder and then to
- Locate and Delete the following file:
- Close Finder
- Empty your trash
- Test your New from Clipboard function!
- Enjoy yet another great built in Mac feature.
Thanks to Signe Maten for contributing this solution on Apple’s Discussion Forums.