- You cannot open any security related website such as www.symantec.com, www.mcafee.com, www.kaspersky.com, www.avg.com and dozens more.
- The update facility on your anti-virus will not connect to the update servers so therefore you cannot update your anti-virus signatures or definitions
- Windows Automatic updates do not work
- You cannot access www.microsoft.com or the Windows Update website
- Some anti-virus or anti-spyware tools will not run correctly
If you are experiencing any or all of the above symptoms then it is likely that you are infected with a strain of the Conficker Worm Virus. Despite running a multitude of security programs in an attempt to clear this virus including ComboFix, SDFix, SpyBotS&D and several others this author couldn’t clear the virus either until now. Read on for the solution.
The solution to this issue is surprisingly simple but the following steps should be followed precisely to be sure.
- Download the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (Dec 2009) from here
- Save the file to your desktop
- Reboot your PC into Safe Mode by hitting the F8 key just after the initial boot screen and selecting Safe Mode
- When in Safe Mode and on the Desktop execute the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool that you downloaded in step 1.
- Select the Quick Scan option and allow the scan to complete. The tool should notify you at the end that it has found and removed certain threats.
- Close the tool and reboot into normal mode.
- You should now be able to access the previously unavailable website such as www.symantec.com, www.mcafee.com, www.kaspersky.com, www.avg.com, etc. In addition you should be able to run the updater application on your anti-virus and also access Windows update to update your computer.