You receive the following error message when trying to log off or restart Windows:
Profile Storage Space – You have exceeded your profile storage space. Before you can log off, you need to move some items from your profile to network or local storage.
This message continues to appear every time you attempt to log off or restart.
- You attempt to log off or restart Windows and the above error message appears.
- This message continues to appear even though you have deleted a lot of files from your profile
This problem occurs when the user has exceeded their Maximum Profile Size (MaxProfileSize) and Profile Quota is enabled for the local PC.
This can be resolved by creating an merging a simple registry file into the PC’s local Windows registry.
Be warned, editing the registry can cause more problems then it fixes if done incorrectly.
**Updated 12th April 2010**
Instead of following the manual creation steps below you can now download the registry file by clicking here.
Step 1 – Create the registry file
- Open Notepad by clicking Start > Run > notepad.exe > OK
- Paste the following code into Notepad (Note some web browsers screw up the code below so you may have to manually replace the double quotes by re-typing them and remove any whitespace also.):
- Click File > Save As…
- Change the Type in the Save As box to All Files
- Save the file to your Desktop as policy.reg
- Close Notepad
- Locate the file on your desktop > right-click on policy.reg and choose Merge
- Click OK to the confirmation
- Restart Windows
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00