Apple have announced today that they are set to ship Mac OS X Snow Leopard on August 28th.
Pre-order your copy now for only $29 for a single licence or for just $49 for a family pack by clicking here
Here are some highlights:
- Full 64 bit support
- A quicker finder with increased icon refresh speed of between 1.4 and 1.7 x what Leopard boasts
- Grand Central Dispatch will allow the OS and Applications to take full advantage of the now common multi-CPU systems
- You’ll be up and running quicker too with wake up and boot times reduced
- Time Machine is set to run 50% quicker then Leopard
- There are also improvements in graphics with Open CL & Quicktime X
- The installation runs 45% faster and Snow Leopard will actually save you 6GB of hard drive space when you upgrade from Leopard – yes you read correctly – Snow Leopard is 6GB less than Leopard
As well as the many speed and performance enhancements, Snow Leopard will give us a few very useful improvements around usability.
- Improving text selection in a PDF file. If you’ve ever tried it in older versions of OS X then you’ll know it can be a real pain.
- Application context Services menu. No more huge lists of greyed out options in the Services menu
- Improved Stacks – you can now navigate folders inside a stack
- Improved Expose – it’s now integrated into the dock icon for the application. Simply click and hold the application icon of your choice and Expose will reshuffle all open windows for that application neatly in front of your eyes.