Windows 8 Developer Preview Released
On September 13th 2011, Microsoft released the first publicly available release of the Windows 8 operating system. It is freely available for all to download now at the links below.
Some New Features
- Metro Interface -Designed primary for touch screen devices, Microsoft is hoping this new intuitive interface wins over it’s increasingly frustrated user base.
- Internet Explorer 10 – Touch First Browsing
- Full Screen Metro Apps – Following in the footsteps of Apple (again), Microsoft have introduced full screen apps for minimal distraction when you’re at your busiest.
Windows 8 requires the following specifications:
- 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
- Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch
- To run Metro style Apps, you need a screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or greater
Download the full functional Windows 8 ISO in 32 bit of 64 bit at the links below:
This is pre-release software and is not stable. It is not recommended to install it on your primary computer. An ideal way to install this is using VirtualBox. This will create a virtual machine on your existing Windows PC where you can install and use Windows 8.
Alternatively, you can dual boot your PC with both Windows 8 and Windows 7 or XP. See this article on lifehacker.com for more info.