Gmail URL Redirecting
When you enter the URL www.gmail.com or https://www.gmail.com or gmail.com into Internet Explorer you get an error page and the URL changes.
You have no problem accessing www.gmail.com from another computer such as your office or a friends.
- You enter www.gmail.com into your browser and you get the error The page cannot be displayed
- You enter www.gmail.com into your browser and the address changes to https:///?%20www.gmail.com or similar
- You have no problem accessing your www.gmail.com from another computer
- Trying to boot into Safe Mode results in a Blue Screen
The above is occurring due to a malicious infection of your operating system.
A virus and/or spyware has infected key files within the OS and is causing the url that you have entered such as www.gmail.com and possibly other url’s to be altered in an effort to redirect your browser.
Solution 1 – Fix your HOSTS file
Spyware may have altered your hosts file and as a result www.gmail.com is not displaying as it should.
Follow these steps to put it right.
- Click Start > Run
- Type c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and click OK
- Locate the hosts file and double click it
- Edit this file and sure the contents of the file is identical to the screenshot below. The only active line should be 127.0.0.1 localhost
- You can ignore the first 17 lines as these are commented out with a pound/hash symbol
- Remove any other lines, Save & Close the file
If the file doesn’t open directly you will be prompted to ‘Open With’.
Choose Notepad or WordPad and click OK
Solution 2 – Read Virus & Spyware Guide
If the step 1 above did not correct the problem then it’s likely that your browser has been hijacked by a virus or spyware threat. Click Here for the Virus & Spyware guide.