This is Part 2 of a 3 part tutorial on HOWTO set up both your Windows PC and your Apple Mac to allow you to access a shared folder on your Microsoft Windows PC from your Apple MAC.
If you’ve landed here by mistake and are looking for Part 1 or Part 3 then click a link below.
- HOWTO: Access Windows files from an Apple MAC over the Network (Part 1)
- HOWTO: Access Windows files from an Apple MAC over the Network (Part 2)
- HOWTO: Access Windows files from an Apple MAC over the Network (Part 3)
This HOWTO explains how to access your Windows files from an Apple Mac. If you are looking for the opposite, ie. you’re trying to access your Apple Mac from your Windows PC then try this article: HOWTO: Share your Mac OS files with Windows over the Network Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3
Step 2 – Windows File & Print Sharing
Now that you have verified that you can ping the Windows PC from your Mac, you will need to enable File & Print Sharing on the Windows PC and optionally add a user. On the PC:
- Click Start > Control Panel > User Accounts
- Click Create a new account
- Enter a name for the account and click Next >
- Select Limited as the Account Type and click Create Account
- Back on the User Accounts screen, select the new user you just created and click Change the Password
- Enter a password for the new user account and click Change Password
- Close the User Accounts window
- Click Start > Control Panel > Network Connections
- Locate your network connection which will more than likely be something similar to either Wireless Network Connection or Local Area Network Connection
- Right click on your network connection and the click Properties
- In the section, This connection uses the following items: place a check mark in ‘File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks’
- Click OK
- Back at your desktop, Right Click on My Computer and then click Manage
- Click the + (plus) beside Shared Folders
- Click Shares once to highlight it
- On the right hand side, right click in the white empty area and then click New File Share…
- The Create A Shared Folder Wizard should start. ClickNext on the welcome screen
- On the Set Up A Shared Folder screen click Browse… and select a folder of your choice from your Windows PC to share. This is the folder you will see when you connect to the PC from the MAC
- Give it a Share name and Share description and click Next >
- On the Shared Folder Permissions screen, select Customize permissions and the click the Custom… button
- By default Everyone will have full permissions. Deselect the 3 check boxes (Full control, Change and Read) in the Permissions for Everyone pane.
- Now click the Add.. button
- Type the name of the user account you added in steps 1 to 7 above and click Check Names followed by OK
- Back in the Customize Permissions window, select the user account you just added by clicking on it once and the select the 3 check boxes (Full control, Change and Read) in the lower pane.
- Click OK
- Click Next and then Finish to complete the Shared Folder Wizard
At this point, you have verified that your Mac & PC can communicate at the basic level (ping) and that Windows is now setup for File & Print sharing with a user and a shared folder. Proceed to Part 3.